Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wedding gift "survival kit" part I

So I'm making a more extended version of wedding favors since we are having so few people at our wedding. Included in the gifts will be a "survival kit" with stuff that people always forget when the travel, e.g. Q-tips. So I'm DIY-ing the kit and making little holders for all the stuff that is sold in larger containers that aren't easily split up (Q-tips, bobby pins, blotting sheets). So today I'm going to outline how I made the bobby pin holders. So here's a pic of the paper I picked out at Michael's for the various things for "the survival kit":


I took the paper and cut out two pieces that looked like a good size to hold bobby pins (exact dimensions were 3" by 2.5"). Then I cut a slit in one of the pieces with an Exacto knife (where the bobby pins go). I also cut 3 or 4 cm worth of ribbon. The supplies at this point look like this, noting that the green piece is just the flower side turned over:


Attach each side of ribbon to one piece of paper with ZIPS (super awesome adhesive that is way neater and more effective than glue):


Then attach strips of ZIPS along the outer edges of the pieces of paper:


Then stick 'em together and you get (front and back):



And repeat nine times...


And a preview for next time...Q-tip holders:


Price breakdown:
  • pack of bobby pins: $2.49
  • ribbon spool: $1.00 (used less than 1/4 of it)
  • ZIPS: $5.99 (used less than 1/4 of it)
  • 4 sheets of scrapbooking paper: $0.99 each
Total price: $5.24
Unit price: $0.52

No comments:

Post a Comment