Saturday, April 24, 2010

Jazzed up votive candle holders

This is a bit of a side thing, but I want to put candles on the tables in our backyard for the wedding and dinner/hanging out. And maybe also inside. But I think most glass candle holders are kind of boring and lame. So I scoured the internetz and found some interesting ideas! So I splurged on an unnecessary Martha Stewart purchase and bought this thing that punches out a sweet little lacey design out of paper (can't remember what they're called off the top of my head). So I cut out this pattern on one side of some vellum paper (semi-transparent paper):

Honestly, it's so unnecessary but SO SWEET! Okay, so cut it to an appropriate length for the glass container you will use it on. I have only tested this method on non-curved surface so try that at your own risk. Put two strips of ZIPS right next to each other and press the ends of the strip of punched vellum. It looks like:


It's hard to get the edges to line up nicely so be careful. I put in a little tea light and had it lit for about an hour to see how the adhesive would handle the heat. It was fine and seemed pretty unaffected by the heat. Here's a picture of the end result. I'm going to try to do a few more vellum things with the candle holders (maybe some stamped initials or something), but that's for another day:


I just love the softness of the light coming through the vellum paper. It's exactly what I hoped it would look like!

2 comments:

  1. So I know you've been crafty since your wedding...I think you should post about it

    ReplyDelete