Saturday, April 24, 2010

Q-tip holders

Today, I'm going to outline how I made the little Q-tip holders for the survival kit (inspiration from a blogger over at WeddingBee). These are totally unnecessary as they do make travel-size Q-tip holders. Unfortunately, the containers are not cute and I won't be able to impose my own colors on them. So without further ado, here is a rough outline of how to make them.

First place however many Q-tips you want to have side by side on the paper (I used 8, I think). Outline the shape of the "envelope" with pencil. Note that the dotted lines are where I will be scoring the paper to make it easier to fold:


Next draw the sides, bottom, and top fold around the base:


Sorry it's hard to see. I don't have any pictures for the next few steps, but it is pretty straightforward and requires only a little guess and check. So next you cut out the whole shape of the envelope and score the dotted lines so that the flaps are easier to fold. Be very gentle when scoring because you don't want the paper to split as you fold it. Next cut a little slit in the bottom flap where the top flap will tuck in once it's all put together. Next put two strips of ZIPS on the two side flaps so that the bottom flap will fold over them and stay secure. This is the result:


Next I created little labels so that people would know what's in the envelopes for convenience:


The finished result is:


Woohoo! That wasn't so bad and the result is pretty cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment